Do News Articles Trigger you?
I'm guessing that most of you, like me, also watch the news on television or the internet. These days transgender issues are coming up all the time on the news in various ways. When you come across these articles or stories on television, does it trigger you to temptation at all?  And if so, what do you do to deal with it?

I try to keep abreast of all that is going on in our culture concerning crossdressing and transgenderism, so I actually read a lot of the news articles about it. For reasons I'm not fully aware of, but perhaps just because I'm used to it, these articles don't trigger me or make me fantasize or make me tempted to sin. I read them almost no differently than reading any other news article about other subjects.  The only time it might cause me a problem is if there are too many graphic pictures in the article. But even when there are a lot of pictures, most of the time it just makes me feel pity for the people going through dysphoria, and makes me thank the Lord for what he has done in my life to bring me healing from those issues.

What advice do you guys have for those who might be triggered by news articles? It's hard not to see them popping up everywhere these days which can be constant reminders of temptation for some in our community.  Avoiding the news altogether is one option, but that seems a bit extreme.  Ideas?
1 Corinthians 16:13-14 –
13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. 14 Do everything in love.

I read a quality national news paper every day and there are often stories regarding transgenderism from around the world. I usually read the articles and often feel pity for the oppression that goes on around the world and that is all forms of oppression, not just TG.

However reading and understanding a news article - no matter what pictures may be presented - is no more of a trigger for me than reading a story about a shooting is likely to make me pick up a gun and go kill somebody. I believe that it is this way because I just treat such stories as being kept informed and mostly news stories are written for this purpose, though of course there is a large chunk of the press/media that are out to titillate. 

So if reading such stories is a trigger for you, read them in quality news items and not so called news papers such as the national enquirer in the US or similar such titles elsewhere.
(02-23-2021, 08:25 AM)keith Wrote: I read a quality national news paper every day and there are often stories regarding transgenderism from around the world. I usually read the articles and often feel pity for the oppression that goes on around the world and that is all forms of oppression, not just TG.

However reading and understanding a news article - no matter what pictures may be presented - is no more of a trigger for me than reading a story about a shooting is likely to make me pick up a gun and go kill somebody. I believe that it is this way because I just treat such stories as being kept informed and mostly news stories are written for this purpose, though of course there is a large chunk of the press/media that are out to titillate. 

So if reading such stories is a trigger for you, read them in quality news items and not so called news papers such as the national enquirer in the US or similar such titles elsewhere.

That's a good point. Instead of the flashy new stories with glossy photos meant to titillate, we can read the better more researched news that are about sharing information.
1 Corinthians 16:13-14 –
13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. 14 Do everything in love.